Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Another Day, Another Dollar!

As much as I love my car, I'm not a car buff or someone who knows a great deal about car parts. If I had my own garage and car tools, I probably would do my own oil change and tire rotations. All major repairs or fixes, I would leave to a trusted mechanic.

I finally setup an appointment for my car to get serviced (53,000 Miles). It's due for an oil change, tire rotation, inspections, and fluid top-offs. My last major maintenance was with a trusted mechanic that I found through a Volkswagen Golf Enthusiast Forum. The mechanic charged me half the price the dealership was going to charge me for this mandatory 40,000 Mile service. I believe I paid a total of $250 vs $600-$1000 at a dealership. Not to mention that this mechanic was located a mile away from my previous workplace. During my last visit, I had a $20 oil change and realized why it was cheap. It was because no maintenance work (tires rotated, break inspection, and fluids topped off) was done. I remember that my break pads would have to be replaced, but I wasn't sure when. I explained to my previous mechanic that I hardly drive my car around and he told me that I would be fine. I drove back to my hometown 2 times last month adding nearly 1000 miles on my car.

I dropped my car off at a different mechanic. I read good reviews on the mechanic/establishment and reasonable prices. It's also located a few blocks away from my apartment. This was very convenient allowing me to walk back home and not have to wait hours on end for my car to be done. When I called the place last week, they told me service STARTS at $110 and everything else is added on. I figured I'd be paying around $150, but to my surprise I'm paying 4 times the initial price. It's a bit hard to swallow, but I keep feeding myself logical reasons. I drive a sports car. On top of that, it's a european (german) sports car. I understood that maintenance for this car is pricey and when I have these moments, I'm reminded of it.

So.... I'm paying a total of $460+ for Labor, Oil & Filter material, and Break Pads. Ouch is right, but I think having this done at a dealership would have cost me $600. Now taking this to my previous mechanic might cost me $200 - $300, but I really didn't want to drive 30 miles away and wait half a day in a wait room.

Yes, I have a headache right now. I understand the value of keeping your car running. I try not to neglect it's needs and I do everything to make it happy. I'm not a car enthusiast, but I do keep my car clean INSIDE and respectable OUTSIDE. I'm fortunate, I have the funds to cover it. However, it's a headache when you see large amounts of your money being put to use. I recently paid off two credit card bills. I still have to plan and budget this month's expenses (rent, utilities, groceries). This month I've also been spending more money on electronics, because I'm planning on setting up Internet at my parents and staying there for awhile. I really do feel like I'm squandering away money at this moment and that's why I need to focus on making more. Ouch! I don't know how I'm coming off or sounding at the moment, because I'm giving reasons for my spending. I'm trying to rationalize things and I value how everything I'm doing is important. Yet, when it comes down to it.... It's still hitting my wallet and it HURTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment