Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Decompressing...

Finally… I've either found time, or made time to decompress, unwind, and to let my thoughts flow rather than be focused and contained.

I've had an interesting work week. I also feel that my work doesn't seem to be it's worth in gold. As a freelance web designer, who's barely doing "okay", and a person recovering from SA… It can be hard to conduct business. Communication with a client in important. Most of the time, there are huge gaps in the communication. I was frustrated last week, because I spent a lot of my time working on a project that I'm basically doing way more work for what I've gotten paid for and for what else is due.

I switched gears and worked on other projects for other clients. I met up with a high school friend and created a very nice postcard design that he'll be using to promote an iPhone app at this year's SXSW. I had a positive experience when meeting with him at the local Starbucks going over things. It was an easy meeting. Asking questions, getting ideas, seeing what type of art direction he wanted. There were times when we got off subject and talked about the locals (this is back in my hometown), some of our common friends, and everything else under the sun. I had fun with this project. I got to do something more artistic.

After that, I switched gears working on an a new website for a reoccurring client. I made a lot of progress, but hit a lot of speed bumps. I did get frustrated and I was on a high alert, thinking this project needs to be completed ASAP (which is true, but no date has been given). It also doesn't help that the Art Director is very indecisive. I had a talk with the Senior Designer and got a better understanding. I felt better after the talk and stopped pressuring myself to be in a "EMERGENCY-HURRY-UP" mode. It's important that I get the job done as fast as possible, but you can't rush QUALITY.

I also worked on another project for a client in New York. I got to create some design patterns and I sent her some samples (different variations). This client is nice as she kept hounding me to invoice her for work I recently done. Even though she decided not to use my work or want me to go any further than the conceptualizing stage, she wanted me to invoice her for the work I put in.

Soooooo… tonight I'm wrapping everything up. I will shut down my iMac and box it up. I'm heading back to my apartment, where I haven't seen my sister, brother-in-law, CoCo (Apartment Dog) in over a week and a half.

Before packing up my stuff, I sat down and finally looked at my finances and started on my Taxes (FINALLY!!!). Oh man is it so depressing. I know I joke, but there's a degree of truth in it. I'm back to reality and I have bills to pay. My workload has picked up, but I get paid on a 30-Day cycle with my main client. I only charge small project amounts for my other clients. And for some of the other clients that I'm frustrated with, I haven't invoiced them… just because it gives me more reason not to feel bad for not wanting to produce any work for them.

I'm finally breathing everything in….. I'm decompressing. What a week and I haven't even been able to focus on my progress or experiences with anxieties.

I hope everyone's doing great…

No comments:

Post a Comment