Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sweet Tooth

I have such a sweet tooth and it's all junk food. It's one thing knowing it and participating in unhealthy habits. However, I just had some sort of moment today. I reflected on a feeling and I actually thought about it.

Today was going to be my "fruit" day where the only thing I ate during the day is fruits (oranges), but that didn't last long. However, my diet's still been pretty healthy. I drink my caffeine (coffee) moderately. One cup per meal, except for dinner. I only add sugar-free creamer. The only sugar that's in my food are organic, meaning they're coming from fruits or something naturally sweet and nothing artificially added.

I bought a bag of mini chocolate chip cookies that were sugar free. It's hard to keep myself away from them, because I have the mindset that "hey they're sugar free". Then I realize that they're nearly 100 calories for 4 mini cookies. They're not filling and they only make you want more.

Now, I was reflecting on what it is that attracts me to these cookies so much. I don't have this craving for fruits, even though it has a good source of "sweets". I also realize that the cookies are still highly processed food.

In hindsight, I shouldn't of bought this bag of chocolate chips. I have the tendency to finish off the bag, but I really don't want to participate in bad habits. It's hard for me to moderately eat them. It's one of those things where, I pop two cookies in and I'm already thinking that I need two more to make it complete, but it never leaves me with a satisfying feeling. Once I'm able to wash out the taste and the sweetness, I'm able to forget about them.

I'm trying to exercise my power and I hope I can. I'm off to brush my teeth to wash the crumbs away.

2 comments:

  1. Moderation is so hard for me too, especially when I'm consciously trying to eat healthy. I'll break my diet for a single cookie and, suddenly, I'm out of control binging on an entire box. I can't have just one cookie. It's all or nothing.

    - Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mike - Tell me abou it. Hehe. I've finally cleaned myself up and I'm on a "health" binge. I've limited my coffee and I've made an effort to eat food with low sugar or natural sugars. I'm actually back home at my parents house and the kitchen pantry is loaded with strudels, wafers, and cookies. There's ice cream sandwiches in the freezer. I think if I didn't arrive at my parent's house without a plan, I would of been eating all of the junk food. Luckily, I've refrained and haven't touched any. I think, because I'm seeing results again in my body weight and measurements, I'm motivated instead of frustrated. I'll ride on this wagon as long as I can and hope it's a life change.

    ReplyDelete