Friday, February 25, 2011

Just Venting (about one of my web projects)

I've been working like crazy this week on projects, yet I feel like I've gotten no where with them. I'm frustrated, because a good amount of time was spent on research and development for a web project that really doesn't pay. I got an up front initial payment when I started this project. I quoted the client a certain amount, because it seemed like a simple website. I thought I'd be able to reuse or buy a wordpress theme template, gut-it, skin-it, and produce the site.

Here's where it got complicated. The sites they referenced where very simple in design, so I made the design simple. The design approval never was stamped and I didn't know where to go with it. The project has gone further away from how it was presented. Instead of one main site, it's more focused towards 3 subsites that have different themes.

At this point, I scrap the whole wordpress theme idea and I build this site from scratch. The client want's a website up and running, yet they haven't provided me with any "complete" content. It's frustrating and annoying. I don't have direct contact with the client. I'm working with my friend, who is the middle-man, and I'm basically ready to jump ship. I haven't invoiced them for any of the work I've done other than the initial deposit. I probably will invoice them once this project is complete, because I no longer want anything to do with this project once it's completed.

And... the best part is that I seemed to have shifted my focus on this project instead of my other project that pays hourly. I know I'm venting and it seems like I'm blaming the client, but I know a lot of issues are with me. Maybe I could of explained things more clearly. Maybe I could of explained what I'm capable of. Maybe I could have directed them towards one path, rather then indulging them with their scattered ideas.

Enough about that... It's time for me to get back on the grind or maybe I'll write another entry can call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment