Monday, November 29, 2010

5 Minute Freewriting #7

I made it through safely from my commute back to my apartment last night. The traffic was horrible. I thought I dodged the Thanksgiving Day Weekend traffic, but there was an accident incident that backed up the freeway. It took me an hour extra to get back to my apartment. So instead of being home in 3 hours, I was home in 4 hours.

I fell back to the same habits, bad habits, when I got home. First, I was busy because I was still trying to finish some updates for this web project I'm working on. I had to call the client and catch up on things. There's trouble with an FTP site/account and that still is the case this morning. I was frustrated last night, but I got all the files prep'd and ready to go. I'm pretty much well prepared, but just on nerves because "shit" is still not going right and it's out of my control. I put this imaginary pressure on myself on things I have no control of. However, I do feel good that I've taken measures to help things move along once things get going. Notified the correct people to work on the problem....

I fell in to bad habits shortly after that. I popped in a DVD on my desktop and then simultaneously watched... browsed the internet. I didn't bother to write last night.. but I ended up going to sleep really late. After spending useless time browsing on useless stuff and watching a few episodes of Boardwalk Empire... I finally worked on my finances. I feel more better, a little squared off and well planned. I just have to drop off the checks today. They need to be deposited.

Preparation is everything. It's a lot of things. I don't know how some people can wing things and be ok. I'm the type of person......


**end of 5-minute**

(continued freewriting)
... who needs to plan things out, put work into "it", and be prepared as much as possible. However, with that type of approach... I can easily get frustrated and sabotage my plans. If for some reason, thing's don't go according to plan and I'm not able to easily adapt to the situation... I tend to scrap the whole objective and will either (1)Restart the process from the beginning (2) or give up and try to move onto something else

No matter how you put it though... You have to put the work in and this can be applied to anything. To be good (or even great) at something... It all begins with the prep work. Put in work and execute. That's the only way you'll get better. That's the only way you'll learn by making mistakes along the way. You just have to keep putting in work.

Even though I fall into bad habits, I still keep working on it. Even though I fall into bad eating habits or bouts of inactiving (no working out for a month), I keep at it and start small. We tend to focus on the negative aspects that throw us off our path, but once we get through it... the work we put in seems to be rewarding once that becomes the focus.

The movie I watched last night was "A Single Man". I knew it got a few Emmy nods last year and that it's a good movie. I really didn't know what it was about. Maybe I'll write a review on it later, but I really did like the movie.... even though I did not know the background story of it. However, it is a good movie and it has a great story to it.

I'm ending this rant as I beging my second part of the day (lunch time).

2 comments:

  1. Hey. I can relate to this- "I can easily get frustrated and sabotage my plans. If for some reason, thing's don't go according to plan and I'm not able to easily adapt to the situation."

    If things don't fall into their "right" places, I get discouraged. I hate uncertainty. I hate not having every little detail planed out. And when I do get caught off guard or fall behind on something, I get frustrated and depressed and that's when the negative thoughts come and that's when I start making poor decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too i feel that way as well about the not being easily able to adapt

    ReplyDelete