Saturday, July 23, 2011

Understanding My Downers

It took me awhile to get going earlier this month. I came off this sharp decline. I kept at it, worked, and worked some more until I got myself into a slow incline. My projects picked up. My eating habits improved. My activity and workouts became routine. I was on a good roll. I wrapped up a hectic web project. I had another web project shortly following that, but I hit a speed bump.

As a result, I'm on a downer. I felt it last night. I don't know how to explain it, but I had this feeling. Part of it was physical and the cognitive parts followed. I got in a lazy mode and didn't feel like picking up where I left off (work/production wise). I binged on cookies, ice cream, and a lot of coffee. It left me with immediate ups but even faster crashes. I think that's when I knew I was crashing. I over-did it on running during the week. I ran at night, slept for 6 hours, and ran in the morning. My body wasn't use to that and it felt depleted. It allowed me to splurge on sweets as a means of energy and it sent me reeling afterwards.

Last night, I realized all of that. I tried not to eat any sweets before falling asleep. I tried drinking as much water to flush out my system. I woke up this morning with intentions to run. I woke up a little later than I had planned, but I got myself to go. It wasn't the greatest performance, but I did push myself to get going. I didn't run the whole run, nor did I do a full 4 miles. However, I pushed myself to walk, jog, and run at least 2 miles. I did a cool-down stretch workout and I plan on working out later on today again.

I know that I just need to do something. I need to regulate all the bad food I've splurged on and I need to get my thoughts and feelings in check. They're really affected by the sugar crashes.

4 comments:

  1. it sounds like ur getting back on track, good luck, you helped me get out of my physical funk so i know you can do it for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @JaneyfromKorea - Thanks :) I think I got myself into a funk again, but I'm keeping at it and trying to work through it rather than lay in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the sweets-control! I know that's difficult, I love sweets too! And congrats on the running, sometimes it's hard to just get up and do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good thing that you recognize that you're when you're getting off track and you put yourself right back on track again. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete