Thursday, January 13, 2011

Back on the Dentist Chair

As a kid, I've had unfavorable memories of the Dentist Office and the Dentist Chair. I remember the receptionist and assistants always being polite. However, I always hated sitting in the chair. Being knocked out or hallucinating from the laughing gas. I just remember waking up with silver teeth and my mom would treat me to McDonalds for some french fries afterwards. I loved that part, yet I couldn't enjoy the Happy Meals because my lips & gums were either numb or sensitive to the touch.

Now as an Adult, I really don't mess around with my dental hygiene. I went almost 10 years during high school to working after college without seeing a dentist. It was horrible. I remember that I had a hole in one of tooth and it was slowly decaying. It wasn't until I was in pain after eating so much Halloween candy in 2005 that I saw a dentist. I ended up getting an emergency root canal. Once I got dental insurance and a stable job, I had regular dental check-ups. I've gone through fixing up 10 cavities in one year, followed up with getting all wisdom teeth removed. A year later, I got braces put on and two years later I finally have them off. If I brush my teeth and floss consistently, then I should be cavity free and in great shape.

I never thought or worried about panicking on the dentist chair until I learned what Social Anxiety was. I went from being tense and alert on my visits, but never knowing what SA and Panic Attacks were. Then knowing what SA was, I worried and psyched myself into waves of panic attacks. Now, I feel that I'm passed this phase and I see myself as someone recovering/healing and not worried or controlled by the fear of panic.

TODAY'S APPOINTMENT

I got to my appointment on time, was seated in the chair. I got x-rays taken, then all of a sudden I felt these small waves of thoughts that were leading me to panic. I giggled to myself at them and I realized that I didn't have to fight against it. I allowed myself or told my thoughts, "if I'm going to panic then let's do it." More than anything, it turned out to be just a small case of the nerves and everything cooled off. I felt my body tense up at times, but as soon as it tensed, I realized I was holding my breath and so I would gradually relax.

I really did get better at catching myself tensing up and finding myself just automatically unwinding when I would get tense. It was nice to be out in the sun today. Driving on the freeway and around town. I went to Target to buy some mouthwash and did fairly well making eye contact and not feeling embarrassed to be in my skin. I felt comfortable and even upon walking out, there was a solicitor asking for donations. I just nodded and replied "sorry, I can't help" and walked away without feeling guilty or embarrassed.

I know I've probably said the same thing before or shared the same sentiments, but I really do feel change and a more positive outlook. I do acknowledge it and it's times like this that you should pat yourself on the back and praise yourself for the good thoughts, feelings and actions that you're able to do.

"Challenging yourself is important, but so is knowing your limits."

The above quote is true and if you keep challenging yourself… You're limits begin to expand to greater limits.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, your awesome, i always read your blog about SA it helps alot.

    could you read my blog about my experience with SA please.

    http://socialanxiety2011.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi i lov ur blog. :) helps me alot. Makes my day.

    could u read my blog and tell me what u think or even follow. lol please

    http://socialanxiety2011.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete